The US Postal Service (USPS) has resumed its free COVID test shipment program.
This initiative, funded by a $600 million investment from the White House, will provide households nationwide with access to free at-home COVID tests.
Here’s what you need to know about how to get these tests, along with other free COVID testing options.
USPS Free COVID Tests
USPS began shipping free COVID-19 tests in January 2022 and had previously delivered four rounds of tests, totaling 20 free tests for each household.
However, the program was temporarily halted in September 2022 due to a shortage of difficulties and funding constraints.
It was restarted in December 2022 but stopped again after the COVID-19 public health emergency ended in May 2023.
The new round of free tests from USPS is a timely response to the rising number of COVID cases and the approaching colder months when people are likely to spend more time indoors, increasing the risk of infection.
How to Order Free COVID-19 Tests from USPS
Starting Monday, September 25, 2023, you can order free COVID-19 test kits from USPS.
Ordering these tests is a straightforward process that requires only a few pieces of information.
Importantly, you will not be asked to provide credit or debit card details, as the tests and shipping are free. Here’s how to get your kits once the order process begins:
- Visit special.USPS.com/testkits or go to covidtests.gov.
- Enter your contact details and shipping information.
- Click “Check Out Now.”
- Verify that your information is correct and select “Place My Order.”
All orders will be shipped via First Class Package Service.
For those without internet access or who struggle with online ordering, a toll-free phone number (800-232-0233) will be available to request tests.
When to Expect Your Free COVID-19 Test Kits and Other Testing Options
When Will Your Free COVID-19 Test Kits Arrive?
Once you’ve successfully placed your order, the tests are typically shipped within seven to twelve days and delivered by USPS within one to three days of shipping.
Other Free COVID-19 Testing Options
Aside from the USPS free tests, several other avenues offer accessible COVID-19 testing locations across the US:
- HRSA Health Centers: These centers, funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration, offer free COVID-19 testing. You can use HRSA’s locator tool to find a center near you.
- Test to Treat Locations: This federally funded health care initiative provides COVID testing and infection treatment. You can use their locator tool to find an eligible Test to Treat Center near you.
- ICATT Testing Sites: ICATT (Increasing Community Access to Testing) offers free testing specifically for uninsured patients exposed to COVID-19 or experiencing symptoms. The locator tool can help you find ICATT locations near you.
Getting Free COVID-19 Vaccines and Boosters
COVID-19 vaccines and boosters are crucial for protection against the virus. Vaccines are free for everyone living in the United States.
The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) offers free vaccines through the Bridge Access Program at local health departments and HRSA centers.
CDC has partnered with over 20,000 retail pharmacy locations nationwide to provide free vaccines.
The Bridge Access Program will continue until December 2024, ensuring ongoing access to free COVID-19 vaccines for all.
Stay informed about COVID-19 updates and utilize these free testing and vaccination resources to protect yourself and your community.
Read Also: Asthma Exacerbations: What You Need to Be Aware Of