Man Consumes Gifted Pufferfish, Falls into Coma, Passes Away After 35 Days

A 46-year-old man from Espirito Santos, Brazil, has tragically passed away after falling into a coma and suffering the lethal effects of consuming a poisonous pufferfish. 

Gomes cooked the gifted pufferfish, unaware of its potential danger, and shared the deadly meal with a friend, who is currently experiencing adverse effects.

Gomes made a terrible mistake of preparing the pufferfish for himself and a buddy, who somehow survived the deadly dish. Gomes’s family does not know where pufferfish come from, either from farming or from being captured.

According to Gomes’s sister, Myriam Gomes Lopes, her brother lacked experience in cleaning and preparing pufferfish. They gutted the fish, removed its liver, boiled it, and consumed it with lime juice. Shortly after ingesting the fish, Gomes began feeling numbness in his mouth, prompting him to drive himself to the hospital.

The poisons quickly took effect when Gomes arrived at the hospital, resulting in an eight-minute heart arrest and widespread numbness across his body. 

According to Lopes, Gomes suffered from many seizures, which severely affected his brain function and reduced his chances of life. Even after being placed on life support and intubated, Gomes died on January 27 from poisoning.

Read Next: Ginger Ale Warning: Reason Why You Should Avoid This Popular Remedy for Upset Stomach

Toxic Pufferfish Survivor’s Neurological Struggle

man-consumes-gifted-pufferfish-falls-coma-passes-away-after-35-days
A 46-year-old man from Espirito Santos, Brazil, has tragically passed away after falling into a coma and suffering the lethal effects of consuming a poisonous pufferfish.

Gomes’s friend, who also partook in the poisonous meal, survived but is grappling with adverse effects, including neurological impairment and difficulty walking.

The deadly toxin that killed Gomes was tetrodotoxin, which is found in almost all pufferfish. According to National Geographic, tetrodotoxin has no known counteragent and may be up to 1,200 times more toxic than cyanide. 

Twenty different species of pufferfish may be found in Brazil, with Espirito Santo home to more than half of them.

While raw pufferfish is considered a delicacy in Japan, where it is known as fugu, it requires extensive training to serve safely. 

Reports indicate that Japan experiences around 50 deaths annually related to pufferfish poisoning, often attributed to inexperienced chefs attempting to prepare the dish themselves.

The terrible incident that happened to Magno Sergio Gomes is a clear reminder of the risks involved in eating pufferfish that has been inadequately cooked and the need of treating the fish carefully to prevent fatal outcomes.

Read Next: Top 5 Best Cities To Live in America

About the author

Author description olor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed pulvinar ligula augue, quis bibendum tellus scelerisque venenatis. Pellentesque porta nisi mi. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Etiam risus elit, molestie 

Leave a Comment